pronounsMale
1,706written posts
Mouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mouse
Part of the Furniture
Mouse Avatar
where fears and lies melt away.
Lately I've been noticing that I have hard time when it comes to describing objects or just being descriptive in general. Like, I can give you two or more paragraphs about how my character feels - what they're thinking about their current situation or things of that nature. But I want to do MORE than just that. 

So I guess I'm asking is what advice do you guys have for improving on this? Because I've seen so many of you guys describing things in such wonderful detail and I'm kinda jealous of it.
stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
537written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
Reading a lot of other materials, books, etc. helps my own writing. When I'm reading something, if I have my phone or if I'm on the computer I pull up a notepad and scribble down lines/passages that interested me. I have a collection of these lines and I slowly deconstruct them and see how they apply into my own writing.

e.g. one of my favourite lines lately: "I felt so light, like mist. As if I could fade away any moment, and our embrace was the only thing that was keeping me from disappearing."
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
390written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
I know it's easier said than done, the phrase "show, don't tell," but that's what I started trying to think of more actively when I started to realize that I wasn't actually giving my thread partners enough to actually reply to because I had only described everything that was going on in my characters' heads. If you think of it like watching a movie, you aren't able to hear the characters' inner dialogue most of the time, but the things you visualize that give you cues as to what's going on are so helpful.

Feeling very second grade, but when I read my posts, I try to make sure that I've touched on all the relevant senses. What can you see, hear, smell (depends), feel. The environment around the character is just as much alive as the character you're writing.

Coming from the perspective of someone who's also written screenplay and directed, besides inner thought because that's not something I could easily script, expression and body language are an absolute must too! Body language or the lack thereof tells a lot too.
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
Sensory language is a powerful tool. How are you using all the senses? What can you smell, taste, see, hear, touch?

What time is it? Daytime? Nighttime? Are you in an urban setting where the streetlamps have all turned on at night? Are you in the countryside where you can see all the morning dew glittering at sunrise?

Are there other people in the area? If so, what are they doing? Is there traffic? Is there animal or plant life?

Are you indoors? How well-lit is it? What's the personality of the dรฉcor? What's the view outside the window?

When your character takes actions, they are engaging with the world described above. You don't have to describe the answer to every question, but knowing it can help inform your writing with anchoring details. You can actually set the 'scene' in as few as two sentences to get an image across. You can do a lot with a little!

A helpful method I've found for writing in-depth descriptions -- such as people, rooms, or objects, or clothing -- is to begin with a broad description, then zoom in with details. So in a room, for example, I might start with a broad descriptor ("It was a quaint little living room.") then describing the way it looks in a more detailed way ("A patched, faded couch sat beneath the light of an open window, while beside it sat a wooden bookshelf filled to bursting with well-thumbed novels.").

Reading helps, as mentioned above. I've actually found poetry very inspirational from a descriptive-writing perspective, as well as reading screenplays, which have to describe settings and costumes in great detail.